This blog is a place to process truth and reality in the world as I experience it. In particular, I plan to focus on the construction and communication of identities, musing that has become a core part of my own identity. While musing, I often am amused, but in no way mean to be trite with the identities of others. This discussion should not be read as a proposal of absolutes; we see and know in part, here in the Shadowlands.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dancing horses

I drove by a restaurant in a strip mall today. Its name was "Chinese and Pizza". This cannot be good. I might have a slight smile if it said "Chinese and Hamburgers" after my recent foray into Hong Kong and the unbelievable numbers of hamburger joints lining the roads devoid of rickshaws. But last I checked, Chinese food rarely explored the wonderful world of cheese. Perhaps that's because of the widespread dairy intolerance. That's not to say that I haven't eaten pizza in lands filled with Chinese...I most definitely have...but in Pizza Hut. And that's not to say that I don't enjoy fusion restaurants, either. I'm just having a hard time embracing the Chinese and pizza fusion. 

But perhaps this restaurant is on to something. Yesterday I went to the local 4th of July parade and was rather surprised by the number of John Deere tractors, Republican party advertisements, Free Mason floats, cowboy hats, and (my absolute favorite) dancing horses. I always think a fantastic way to get to know a community is to visit their museum(s) - not so much for the objects themselves, but for how those chosen objects represent the values of the choosers. Another great way to do this is to enter a thrift store - the quality, quantity, and prices of the available merchandise in each neighborhood is telling of the surrounding economic bracket and dress code. Yesterday, I added to that list when I realized that a community parade is yet another fantastic way to get a feel for a local community's political and approved community affiliations.

Viva dancing horses - cha cha cha!

If I have learned anything about my new locale after three days (into the unknown next few weeks where this is 'home'), it's that just an hour outside of a very progressive city, lies a very conservative farming community full of family-oriented, duck-raffling fun. Perhaps "Chinese and Pizza" isn't such a bad idea, given the context. In fact, way to be culturally adaptable Mr. Chinese and Pizza owner!

Still...forgive me my lack of enthusiasm for this creative mix, but I will be going back to the local Thai place where he actually gave me green curry at "100 star" spiciness and I felt like I had been transported back to Koh Chang, Thailand. I'm trying to adapt, I really am. But put me into a good Thai restaurant and any desire for a different type of food just dances away. Cha cha cha!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that Thailand got it's hooks into you! :) That increases the chances that you will be back for a visit!!

    Gotta love small town America -- just wish it was still the real heartbeat of the country.

    I'm glad you are writing this blog -- it is always fun to hear your thoughts (I'm drinking coffee on my end, but it still isn't the same as a coffee chat!).

    ReplyDelete