This blog is a place to process truth and reality in the world as I experience it. In particular, I plan to focus on the construction and communication of identities, musing that has become a core part of my own identity. While musing, I often am amused, but in no way mean to be trite with the identities of others. This discussion should not be read as a proposal of absolutes; we see and know in part, here in the Shadowlands.

Monday, May 28, 2012

The Quail, Eagle, and Hummingbird


Most of my best thinking happens hiking the trail as I pound out miles under my boots. I'm hoping this is true of the past few days as well but, as usual with new thoughts, I will have to wait to see what happens. My husband and I have been searching for a solution regarding a current challenge: we move on Friday but don't exactly know where to move to. Sometimes I can become anxious when I find myself in these scenarios because I like to plan a few weeks out (and perhaps live a few weeks out, too, but I'd rather not talk about that). Increased effort to solve a worry-soaked problem usually happens when I've let myself slide outside the sweet spot of trust in the Good Someone who promises to take care of me. A really experienced and wise man once said that we should look at the birds of the air and see how God takes care of them and that this should inspire us not to worry about tomorrow. 

This past weekend I had the joy of watching three quite unique birds of the air: the California Quail, the Bald Eagle, and the Black-chinned Hummingbird.

The California Quail

Running across the grass, a small pair of California Quail took flight in front of me from short, stubby legs. They were on a mission! My first thought was "adorable".

In doing a bit of research on this bird, I found out that the California Quail is highly social and often get together in groups called "coveys" of 10-200 birds. Males mate with only one female and both parents care for their babies. They like to take dust baths, forage for seed and grass on the ground, and "flush" into flight with a short burst of energy when startled. 


The Bald Eagle

Hovering in flight over the lake, I also got to watch a Bald Eagle go fishing. My first thought was "powerful".

Bald Eagles are carnivores and eat just about anything, but have a special hankering for fish. They can fly at speeds up to 43 miles per hour (70 km per hour) and don't normally like humans, preferring to stay above it all with just one other eagle mate for life. They can migrate, but tend to stick close to home, especially if they've found a great lake and winds to soar on. 


The Black-chinned Hummingbird
File:Archilochus-alexandri-002-edit.jpg

Hovering right next to my face, a hummingbird seemed to meet my eye before darting off into the forest. My first thought was "amazing".

Hummingbirds feed on nectar, are migratory, and can go into a hibernation state where they only use 1/15 of their normal energy. While in flight, their heart rate can reach 1,260 beats per minute. They can fly forward at speeds over 34 mph (54 km per hour) and are the only bird that can fly backwards. Their brains are larger in comparison to their body size than any other bird and they like to be alone.

Sometimes people act as if their own life stories and experiences should be indicative of yours. Honestly, I find this to be extremely irksome. I think it's important to share and celebrate each other's stories, but not to assume that all life narratives should or will look the same. As we look at the birds of the air and learn from how God provides for them, I am reminded that we can't expect the way that God provides for one to be the same provision for another. After all, we all have different flight patterns, lifestyles, and daily needs. One of us may feed on seeds, another on fish, and another on nectar. One of us may need lots of people around, another a single life companion, and still another to go it alone. Some like to migrate, constantly on the move, and others to stay in one place, rooted to what they know and love. Diversity found in the birds of the air astounds me; God's diverse ways of providing for humans is no less astounding.

What will be God's way of providing for me this Friday? Who can tell.
But will God do it? Just look at the birds of the air.

1 comment: